Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hemp Wrap

So, I absolutely despise those feather extensions everyone is wearing lately. Not only because I feel they look ridiculous, but most people don't understand how many roosters are killed to provide just those feathers. These roosters aren't used for anything else other than to be raised until it's feathers are in their prime, and then slaughtered so the feathers can plucked.
"So essentially, feather extensions are tantamount to fur: these animals are raised solely so we can kill them and wear their butt feathers in our hair."
http://thegloss.com/beauty/your-dumb-feather-extensions-are-causing-a-rooster-shortage/ 

"I don't think that any animal should have to suffer in order for a person to feel cool or follow a trend. The birds that are farmed to make these accessories are usually kept in small cages and treated horribly. Even worse: most of these birds are simply raised for their feathers, and once they are ready to be plucked, they're killed, their feathers are removed, and then they are simply thrown away. It's horrible to think about."
http://www.readymade.com/blog/fashion/2011/05/19/one_stylist_explains_why_ill_never_do_feather_hair_extensions 
Plus, does anyone really know who started the trend? How about Steven Tyler, Dog the Bounty Hunter and Ke$sha. Not really my role models...

Well, I looked around for something that would be different then what every trendy girl in Nebraska is wearing, and I came across hemp wraps. Not only are they of course animal friendly, more my style, but they also last way longer than feather extensions and it stays in your hair until you want to cut it out.

I got my done at a local exotic gifts store, Euphoria. It turned out amazing. At first it felt really weird, pulling the hairs on my head, plus the hemp was very stiff. But after about two days, my scalp got used to it and the hemp loosened up a lot. For mine, I got to not only have hemp, but I got to choose between different colored recycled silk, a glass bead, and some smaller beads at the end. One of my friends got a hemp wrap as well, and she got a fake peacock feather on the end of hers, which ended up falling out, but still looked really cool.

If anyone is interested in getting a hemp wrap, call up your local exotic gifts store, or hippie store, and make an appointment. Mine only cost me $30 with the hemp, silk, glass bead, and smaller beads. I think it was money well spent. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment